Databox, a fast-growing SaaS company that helps other companies monitor and improve their business performance, is looking for a mid-level Backend Engineer or an experienced Senior Backend Engineer.
Our Product and Engineering has 45 members in 7 teams with extensive experience in UI/UX design, frontend/mobile/backend development, product growth, and analytics. Our teams take care of our distributed system that is split into several components and services covering different domains, from calculating data, data rendering, application business logic and others.
The majority of our applications and services are built using Node.js, Typescript, .NET, Java or PHP. PostgreSQL is used for our application database and our metric database. Our metric database is growing rapidly and loading, transforming, and calculating the data is becoming more and more challenging. We believe the experience of a skilled engineer can give us the extra boost in these areas.
As our needs evolve, we keep exploring new tools and ideas and love working alongside people who are willing to try new things. Mentoring, code reviews, writing tests, and engaging in blameless postmortems are only some of our core engineering principles. We celebrate achievements, encourage personal growth, encourage knowledge sharing, and have fun doing it all.
The ideal candidate is someone who is ready to take on the challenge of building and improving a product that is used and loved by thousands of customers worldwide. You are a perfect match if you keep up to date with the latest web technologies
- Be actively involved in planning, implementing, and maintaining modern container-based backend solutions
- Write, review and maintain code primarily in one of the technologies from our tech stack (depending on the team)
- Work closely with our product managers and other engineers for the best user experience possible
- Cooperate with other teams to come up with the best technical solutions
- Be responsible for helping triage issues, bugs, and security vulnerabilities
- Have opportunities to grow personally and as a contributor to the growing team
Desired skills and experience (depends on the position)
- 3-5+ years of experience as a Backend Engineer using one or more of the technologies from our stack (Node.js, Typescript, .NET, Java or PHP) and with a track record of building modular systems, simple solutions, and high-quality code in production environment
- Familiarity with REST APIs and their limitations, such as pagination, rate limits, error handling, data dumps, event hooks, etc.
- Experience working with relational databases (preferably PostgreSQL)
- A good understanding of OOP, functional programming and SOLID principles, caching concepts, the HTTP protocol, building independent services, and general web architecture
- Preparing solutions by determining and designing system specifications and standards
- Ability to write a clear and efficient code that performs at scale
- Enjoy working across layers of the stack to solve problems for users both internally and externally
- Ability to detect and find solutions to tech debt and performance problems
Since new programming languages can be learned quickly, we care much more about your general engineering skills than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
Desired but not required
- Experience with Big Data technologies and analytics
- Experience with subscription platforms and/or payment processors (Stripe)
- Contributions to open-source projects or personal projects
- Interest in the data pipeline, infrastructure, and/or distributed systems work
We encourage our employees to challenge themselves, learn from each other, grow in their roles, and balance their work with life. We offer competitive compensation, an opportunity for personal and professional development, and a positive team atmosphere.
Databox is a remote-friendly company with over 120 team members working across the globe. This position, however, is best suitable for a candidate located near Ptuj, Slovenia, with the possibility of working from home a few times per week.
If you think we might be a match, send us your CV and a short explanation of why you think you are the right person for this position.
About Databox, Inc.
Databox, a fast-growing SaaS company that helps other companies monitor and improve their business performance, is looking for an experienced DevOps/SRE Manager with experience in leading a small DevOps/SRE team.