Databox, a software company that helps other companies monitor, report and improve their business performance, is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our product team in Ptuj, Slovenia, to help us scale our systems from thousands to millions of users.
We are looking for a senior engineer that wants to be a part of a fast-paced team – that is continuously learning and challenging ourselves – building a technically-superior product that is loved by business users.
Our product team includes experts in UI/UX design, front-end, mobile and backend engineering. We launch applications and features from scratch using the latest technologies and agile software development principles. We’re still a pretty small team and are looking for an engineer who feels good wearing many hats. A self-starter who is willing to jump headfirst into the codebase and begin making improvements immediately would be the ideal candidate for this role.
About our Engineering Team
Our backend infrastructure is split into several major components including data calculations (crunching user data), data rendering, application business logic and other traditional MVC components. The majority of our applications and services are built using PHP and NodeJS. PostgreSQL is used for our main database and our data warehouse. Our warehouse is growing rapidly and loading, transforming and calculating the data is becoming more and more challenging. We believe the experience of a skilled engineer can give us the extra boost in these areas.
We are always exploring new tools and ideas as our needs evolve, and we love working alongside people who are willing to try new things. Code reviews, writing unit tests, and belief in the value of coding standards are only some of our core engineering values. We recognize achievement, promote from within, and encourage professional growth, collaboration, knowledge sharing and fun.
– 3+ years of experience with PHP in production applications
– Experience working with at least one relational database (preferably PostgreSQL)
– A solid understanding of OO and MVC design principles, RESTful APIs, caching concepts, the HTTP protocol and general web architecture
– Ability to write clear and concise code that your teammates can understand and build upon
– Ability to write efficient code that performs at scale
– Ability to own and build independent services
– Ability to learn quickly, take initiative, work independently and handle the pressures of an increasing level of responsibility
– Ability to detect and find solutions to tech debt and performance problems
– Experience using Git or another version of control software
Nice to have:
– Experience with PHP 7 in production applications
– Big Data or Analytics experience
– Experience with subscription platforms and/or payment processors (Stripe)
– Experience with Java EE development, generics, JPA, Hibernate, REST, and Maven/Gradle
– Contributions to open-source projects or personal projects
You’ll gain invaluable experience, make connections and other growth opportunities in fast paced American startup that offers competitive salaries and benefits, an exciting work environment, and travel between Ptuj, Slovenia (EU office) and Boston, USA (Databox HQ).
If you want to join us, apply here: https://databox.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=34&source=startupjob