As a Senior Backend Engineer, you’ll join our Data platform team. Databox Data Platform is a microservice oriented platform with 10+ services that are deployed on AWS (EC2, ELB, VPC, etc). Several of them have throughput in hundreds of millions of requests per day. We use AWS Kubernetes platform to manage our containers. You’ll work on improving our data stack to help us scale to billions of requests per day, improve telemetry of our services and build additional services that will further improve stability, performance, and security of our systems. You should highly value modular systems, simple solutions, and high-quality code. Our services are written in PHP and Node.js, and we use PostgreSQL and Redis to manage the state of our system.
Due to the rapid growth of our customer base, our warehouse is growing rapidly. The right candidate will be able to help us improve our systems ability to quickly load, transform and calculate larger and larger amounts of data.
The best candidates will excel at the following:
- 5+ years of experience as a Backend Engineer
- Experience with PHP, Node.js or TypeScript. However, as new programming languages can be learned quickly, we care much more about your general engineering skills than knowledge of a particular language or framework
- Experience working with relational database (preferably PostgreSQL)
- A solid understanding of OOP and SOLID principles, RESTful APIs, caching concepts, the HTTP protocol, and general web architecture
- Preparing solutions by determining and designing system specifications and standards
- Improving operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures
- Ability to write a clear and efficient code that performs at scale
- Ability to learn quickly, take initiative, work independently and handle the pressures of an increasing level of responsibility
- Enjoy data pipeline, infrastructure and/or distributed systems work
- Enjoy working across layers of the stack and doing and anything it takes to solve problems and delight users both internally and externally
- Have a clear understanding of software development fundamentals (architectures, design, processes)
- Knowledge or experience using big-data tech stack
Additional skills needed:
- Getting things done attitude
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Excellent English-language speaking and writing
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Analytics and troubleshooting skills
- Close attention to detail
We are always exploring new tools and ideas as our needs evolve, and we love working alongside people who are willing to try new things. Mentoring, code reviews, writing tests, and belief in the value of coding standards are only some of our core engineering values. We recognize achievements, encourage personal growth, structure knowledge sharing and have fun doing it all.
If you are passionate about all this and would like to join a fast-growing startup, we would like to invite you to apply for this job.
The right candidate for this position will be located near Ptuj, Slovenia. We offer competitive compensation and access to co-working spaces in Ptuj, Slovenia and Boston, MA, with a well-stocked kitchen full of cold drinks, fresh fruit, and snacks. However, since our team and customer base is distributed globally across several countries with concentrations of team members in Slovenia (Ptuj and Ljubljana), US (Boston, MA) and Serbia (Novi Sad), this is an opportunity to work in a company with a flexible schedule, location, and travel opportunities.
About Databox, Inc
Databox, a fast-growing software company that helps other companies monitor and improve their business performance.
Databox is disrupting the $16B Business Analytics and Intelligence by providing a free-to-start, easy-to-setup option for small and medium-sized businesses who want to track performance metrics from popular business software tools in one application on any device. Join us and help us deliver business intelligence to the millions of companies who are desperate for a way to predictably improve their company’s performance using data.