Databox, a software company that helps other companies monitor, report, and improve their business performance, is looking for an SRE/DevOps Engineer to join our product team in Ptuj, Slovenia, to help us scale our systems from thousands to millions of users. We are looking for an experienced SRE/DevOps engineer that wants to be a part of a fast-paced team – that is continuously learning and challenging ourselves – building a technically-superior product that is loved by business users.
Our product team includes experts in UI/UX design, front-end, mobile, and backend engineering. We launch applications and features from scratch using the latest technologies and agile software development principles. We’re still a pretty small team and are looking for an engineer who feels good wearing many hats. A self-starter who is willing to jump headfirst into the codebase and begin making improvements immediately would be the ideal candidate for this role.
About our Infrastructure and Engineering Teams:
Our infrastructure runs using Kubernetes on AWS. We have many services build with Docker and deployed via CI/CD pipelines to the production daily. Engineers use ChatOps to deploy services to different environments. ElasticSearch with FluentD is our choice for managing ever-growing streams of logs and traces. PostgreSQL is used for our main database and our data warehouse. Our warehouse is growing rapidly and loading, transforming, and calculating the data is becoming more and more challenging. We are always exploring new tools and ideas as our needs evolve, and we love working alongside people who are willing to try new things. Code reviews, writing tests, automating, and documenting processes are some of our core engineering values. We recognize achievement, promote from within, and encourage professional growth, collaboration, knowledge sharing, and fun.
As an SRE/DevOps engineer, you’ll be part of the team that ensures that Databox’s services—both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability, uptime appropriate to users’ needs, and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SRE’s will keep an ever-watchful eye on the capacity and performance of our system. Much of team software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure, and eliminating work through automation. You’ll also focus on writing tools and enabling other software developers to do their job and focus on things that they are good at. You will work on software development projects to keep important revenue-critical systems up and running, from code-level troubleshooting of traffic anomalies to maintenance of our most important services; from monitoring and alerts to building new automation infrastructure.
The best candidates will excel at the following:
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years of experience as a DevOps engineer
- Experience with NodeJS (TypeScript), PHP, Java or Python. However, as new programming languages can be learned quickly, we care much more about your general engineering skills than knowledge of a particular language or framework
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD pipeline
- Experience working with database (PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Redis
- Experience designing, analyzing and troubleshooting distributed system
- Enjoy data pipeline, infrastructure and/or distributed systems work
- Enjoy working across layers of the stack and doing and anything it takes to solve problems and delight users both internally and externally
Additional skills needed:
- Getting things done attitude
- Ability to learn quickly, take initiative, work independently and handle the pressures of an increasing level of responsibility
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with excellent communication skill
- Excellent English-language speaking and writing
- Design, test, deploy and maintain software solutions for our customers or developers like you, and our fast-paced business, grow and evolve
- Help maintain mission-critical services
- Collaborate on scalability issues involving access to data and information
- Utilize exposure to production software troubleshooting
We are always exploring new tools and ideas as our needs evolve, and we love working alongside people who are willing to try new things. Mentoring, code reviews, writing tests, and belief in the value of coding standards are only some of our core engineering values. We recognize achievements, encourage personal growth, structure knowledge sharing, and have fun doing it all. If you are passionate about all this and would like to join a fast-growing startup, we would like to invite you to apply for this job.
The right candidate for this position will be located near Ptuj, Slovenia. We offer competitive compensation and access to co-working spaces in Ptuj, Slovenia and Boston, MA, with a well-stocked kitchen full of cold drinks, fresh fruit, and snacks. However, since our team and customer base is distributed globally across several countries with concentrations of team members in Slovenia (Ptuj and Ljubljana), US (Boston, MA) and Serbia (Novi Sad), this is an opportunity to work in a company with a flexible schedule, location, and travel opportunities.