Databox, a software company that helps other companies monitor, report and improve their business performance, is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our product team in Ptuj, Slovenia, to help us scale our systems from thousands to millions of users.
We are looking for a senior engineer that wants to be a part of a fast-paced team – that is continuously learning and challenging ourselves – building a technically-superior product that is loved by business users.
Our product team includes experts in UI/UX design, front-end, mobile and backend engineering. We launch applications and features from scratch using the latest technologies and agile software development principles. We’re still a pretty small team and are looking for an engineer who feels good wearing many hats. A self-starter who is willing to jump headfirst into the codebase and begin making improvements immediately would be the ideal candidate for this role.
About our Engineering Team:
Our backend infrastructure is split into several major components including data calculations (crunching user data), data rendering, application business logic and other traditional MVC components. The majority of our applications and services are built using PHP and NodeJS. PostgreSQL is used for our main database and our data warehouse. Our warehouse is growing rapidly and loading, transforming and calculating the data is becoming more and more challenging. We believe the experience of a skilled engineer can give us the extra boost in these areas.
We are always exploring new tools and ideas as our needs evolve, and we love working alongside people who are willing to try new things. Code reviews, writing unit tests, and belief in the value of coding standards are only some of our core engineering values. We recognize achievement, promote from within, and encourage professional growth, collaboration, knowledge sharing and fun.
- 4+ years of experience with PHP and/or java EE in production application
- Experience with Java EE development, generics, JPA, Hibernate, REST, and Maven/Gradle
- Experience working with at least one relational database (preferably PostgreSQL
- A solid understanding of OO and MVC design principles, RESTful APIs, caching concepts, the HTTP protocol, and general web architecture
- Ability to write clear and concise code that your teammates can understand and build upon
- Ability to write efficient code that performs at scale
- Ability to own and build independent services
- Ability to learn quickly, take initiative, work independently and handle the pressures of an increasing level of responsibility
- Ability to detect and find solutions to tech debt and performance problems
- Experience using Git or another version of control software
Nice to have:
- Big Data or Analytics experience
- Experience with subscription platforms and/or payment processors (Stripe)
- Contributions to open-source projects or personal projects
The right candidate for this position should be located near Ptuj, Slovenia.
By joining Databox, you’ll have an opportunity to work in our headquarter in Ptuj- Slovenia, with highly qualified engineers that will provide you knowledge and experiences much needed for your personal and professional growth. We will take you to the funny team buildings, team events, cover your gym membership, and provide you with top-notch working equipment. Our kitchen is always full of cold drinks, fruit, and snacks. However, since our team and customer base is distributed globally across several countries with concentrations of team members in Slovenia (Ptuj and Ljubljana), US (Boston, MA) and Serbia, this is an opportunity to work in a company with a flexible schedule, location, and travel opportunities.
If you are interested, please send us your CV with a short explanation of why you think you are the right person for this position.