At Zemanta we’re building the most advanced native advertising platform in the world. Marketing agencies love our dashboard – they use it to run native advertising campaigns that reach millions of people every month. Offering them the tools they need to be successful is our main priority, so we are expanding our engineering team to take our platform to the next level. Zemanta became part of Outbrain in 2017.
We’re looking for a versatile Site Reliability Engineer to help us grow our real-time bidding (RTB) system ad management services across Outbrain and Zemanta infrastructure. We are working with huge scale: currently managing tens of thousands of ad campaigns and tens of millions of ad impressions per day. Our real time bidding infrastructure handles more than 1,000,000 bid requests every second, and it needs to decide which ad to show for every one of them in real time. Our core system is running on more than 300 powerful servers around the globe. It generates terabytes of data every day that needs to be processed quickly and efficiently. On top of that it’s deployed multiple times every day.
You will join a small team of Site Reliability Engineers:
- We help other engineers be efficient: we discuss problems they’re solving and we consult and help them to build optimal systems. We build and maintain tools for monitoring and deployment for optimal delivery performance.
- We take care of underlying infrastructure with the help of Ansible and Chef. We run some of it in the cloud (AWS and GCP), some on leased bare-metal machines and some we run on our own data centers (which are managed by a dedicated team in Outbrain). Each has its own set of challenges that we are solving on a daily basis.
- We are on-call for and we work with developers to resolve production issues.
What it’s like to be an engineer at Zemanta?
We solve hard problems: like processing >1M bid requests per second efficiently, keeping tens of thousands of advertising campaigns in sync across multiple 3rd party systems and managing a database with billions of entries and >100k qps.
We use the right tools for the job: Our stack includes: Go, Java, Kotlin, Python, AWS, GCP, Kafka, Aerospike, Cassandra, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Hadoop, Docker, Prometheus, Grafana and more. We use Github for managing code, Jira for keeping track of projects and Slack to tie it all together.
We care about quality: We don’t just want things done, we want them done right. We cannot imagine life without continuous integration, one-click automated deployments, code reviews, technical specs, architecture design reviews and unit tests. We find beauty in simple and elegant solutions and flexible architectures.
We push people out of their comfort zone: If you want to grow, you’ll get all the responsibility you can handle. Our engineers take full ownership over projects, which includes everything from defining a solution with product managers, planning, architectural design, implementation, testing, deployment and maintenance. If this sounds overwhelming, don’t worry – you’ll get plenty of support from more experienced members of the team.
We are a small team with global impact: Since joining Outbrain we’ve become a part of a global engineering team, which opens up lots of new opportunities for us. We collaborate with engineers and product managers based in Tel Aviv on a daily basis. That said, we’re still Zemanta – a closely-knit team with distinct identity.
We constantly try to improve: We share knowledge through internal weekly tech talks, postmortems, code reviews, blog posts and meetup talks.
- Good knowledge of Linux and experience with running it in production
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, well-tested production code.
- Understanding of ‘how things work’ (cloud, containers, VMs, networking, etc.)
- A strong desire to learn and grow as a member of a talented engineering team.
- You lean towards simple and effective solutions and are allergic to over-engineering.
- You set very high standards for yourself and you are constantly improving your skills.
- We expect you to like working with people – you’ll be doing that a lot
- You are a reliable, trustworthy person that keeps their promises and takes responsibility for their actions.
- Having experience with our stack is a plus, but not mandatory – we value talent, strong fundamentals and dedication to excellence more than the tools you’ve used.
We care deeply and invest heavily into our team, setting everybody up for growth and success. In addition to being a part of a great team, working in a fast-paced startup environment, learning from other smart people and skyrocketing your skills, we offer:
- International environment: be a part of a global Outbrain engineering team
- Full-time employment with an attractive salary package
- Stock options plan
- Traveling to world’s leading software engineering conferences every year and learning from the best
- A laptop and other equipment of your choice
- Opportunity to give back to community – by open-sourcing code, giving talks and sharing knowledge through our tech blog
- Flexible working hours and an ability to work from home occasionally
- Free access to the gym and pool across the street to keep you in shape
Not from Ljubljana? No problem – if you’re the right person for the job, we will help you with your relocation.
About Zemanta an Outbrain Company
At Zemanta, we're building the most advanced native advertising platform in the world. Marketing agencies love our dashboard - they use it to run native advertising campaigns that can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per month. Offering them the tools they need to be successful is our main priority, so we are expanding our team to take our platform to the next level.
Zemanta recently joined Outbrain, the largest native advertising company in the world, on their mission of enabling everyone to discover great content.